BRMX 954 is a model S-1, diesel-electric switcher and built by American Locomotive Co. (Alco) in Schenectady, New York, in 1945 and is equipped with a McIntosh & Seymor model 539 6-cylinder diesel engine, which generates 660 horsepower. Built for the Maine Central Railroad as 954, it was designated class DS-3b. In 1976, it was purchased by General Electric (GE) and overhauled at their shops in Erie, Pennsylvania. From there, the locomotive became Number 6 and was assigned to GE’s Power Transformer plant in Pittsfield, Massachusetts.
In 1988, GE donated the locomotive to BSRM, where it was assigned number 0954 and painted in a scheme that was reminiscent of New Haven’s fleet of switchers. The leading “0” in the number is consistent with New Haven numbering practice during the steam-to-diesel transition era. New diesel locomotives were given a leading zero to avoid conflict with a steam locomotive using the same road number.
Locomotive 954 is currently undergoing a multi-year restoration and rebuilding of the body, trucks, and paint, so that it may serve our museum for many years to come. Please consider contributing towards restoration with a donation or spending a few hours with our volunteers.
Built: American Locomotive Co., 1945
Serial Number: 73085
Weight: 100 tons (200,000 pounds)